Thursday, August 19, 2010

One week to Desmond!


Next week Disappearing Desmond will be on book shelves at last! I've spent the past few weeks madly making materials that teachers can use in their classroom in the new school year as I think its the perfect back to school book.

Curious City marketing has been helping me to put together a classroom/library activity kit that I'm really excited about. Desmond is a shy cat, who goes to great lengths to blend into the background so he won't be noticed. For example:





Which, of course, is not always very effective...



We've all seen kids like that in the classroom, right? The book is perfect for helping those wallflowers gain confidence and make friends. The kit will have "get to know you" activities that can be used to in conjunction with the book, and will be available for download from my web site very soon.

We are also working on a Disappearing Desmond Master of Disguise sheet that kids can use to disguise themselves just like Desmond. Here was my first draft:



After consulting with Curious City they suggested it be black and white so that teachers and librarians could easily xerox it. Also, the leaf border kept me from fitting as much on there as I wanted to, so this is version number two:



I'm still tweaking the cutouts and testing everything out...


Do you recognize me?

3 comments:

Nina Crittenden said...

Adorable!

yamster said...

Love it! Can't wait to see DESMOND on the shelves at last...

Polo said...

So interesting design style,haha...Make you more cute.Thanks to share.