Monday, February 22, 2010

Inspiration: The Wind in the Willows


Right now I am re-reading The Wind in the Willows, looking for ideas and inspiration. What an incredible book, I am completely engrossed. Its been a long time since I've read it and mainly my memories of it have been replaced by images from the various movies... but my what a masterfully told story. I've been jotting down some of my favorite turns of phrase, the ones that give me shivers and make me remember why I wanted to write books in the first place.

"...the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea."

"But it was from one little window, with its blind drawn down, a mere blank transparency on the night, that the sense of home and the little curtained world within walls- the larger stressful world of outside Nature shut out and forgotten- most pulsated."

"He clambered into his bunk and rolled himself well up in the blankets, and slumber gathered him forthwith, as a swath of barley is folded into the arms of the reaping-machine."

Shivers.

1 comment:

Douglas Florian said...

True Windspiration