Monday, March 09, 2009

Made by hand: rows and rows of roses

I promise not to make this blog entirely about wedding planning (though it is tempting), but will be posting some crafty fun from time to time... planning a wedding offers oh so many opportunities to make stuff! Its really important to me that as many elements of our wedding as possible be handmade.

So this weekend I decided to try my hand at organza roses. Turns out its super easy and I think the result is pretty nice. First I gathered a few different shades of organza and cut out circular petals.

The next step is so singe the edges over a flame, then layer them on top of eachother.



Once you have a bunch layered, all that needs to be done is to sew a bead in the middle to hold the flower together.



Do I need 20 organza roses for my wedding? Not sure. But they were fun to make!




*Title of post is a quote from Like Likes Like by Chris Raschka

4 comments:

www.juliadenos.com said...

Anna I love the idea of a hand made wedding. And these roses are so sweet! Here's another recycled/handmade idea, this link was just on design sponge:

http://www.designspongeonline.com/2009/03/wedding-so-sweet-diy-idea.html

Anna Alter said...

Hi Julia- Thanks for the link, I LOVE Design Sponge, so many great ideas!

Martha Bright said...

These are sweet--but do you have to do anything to the edges after you singe them? Don't they discolor?

Anna Alter said...

Hi Mart, Just saw your comment. The edges don't discolor if you hold them just over the flame for only a second, but they will discolor if you put the fabric right in the flame and don't get it out fast enough. Once you get the hang of it its a breeze!