Thursday, April 29, 2010

On my desk

Whenever I paint a book there are always a few titles I pull out often for inspiration. So far for Greta, it has been Iona Opie and Rosemary Well's Mother Goose, and a variety of books illustrated by Melissa Sweet. The two below have been in heavy rotation.



I think what I've been trying to learn from each of them is how to balance a controlled painting style with spontaneity and loose, gestural marks. When I get in the zone and spend hours painting, I have to be on guard for my work becoming too tight or overworked. With this book, I am trying to keep some air in the pictures, to let the application be light. Will have more paintings to show you soon that hopefully will demonstrate what I mean!

1 comment:

Libby Koponen said...

ake (three year old I babysit for) saw this FB post en route to my childhood photos and got very excited: "There's the mother goose book you have! Why is it on the computer?" (It is his favorite book and he has often suggested that I leave it at his house.) I love it, too. One of the very very best.