Monday, January 26, 2009

And the winners are...


I have to admit I have not read most of the ALSC winners this year (I am always behind on my reading), but I am thrilled to see two illustrators I love get recognized; Beth Krommes and Melissa Sweet. I ADORE their work and think its really great to see "quiet books" get some attention! When I worked at Houghton Mifflin way back when, I got to see original art from some of their books in person and it is GORGEOUS.

Newbery Medal:

"The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman

Newbery Honor Books:

"The Underneath" by Kathi Appelt, illustrated by David Small

"The Surrender Tree: Poems of Cuba's Struggle for Freedom" by Margarita Engle

"Savvy" by Ingrid Law

"After Tupac and D Foster" by Jacqueline Woodson

Caldecott Medal

"The House in the Night," illustrated by Beth Krommes and written by Susan Marie Swanson

Caldecott Honor Books:

"A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever" by Marla Frazee

"How I Learned Geography" by Uri Shulevitz

"A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams," illustrated by Melissa Sweet and written by Jen Bryant

No comments: